If you’re planning a trip abroad, even if it’s just a weekend getaway or business trip, traveling by car can be one of your most enjoyable and convenient options.
But before you hop in that rental car and hit the road, there are some important things you should know about how to safely drive in another country.
Here are 7 tips for driving in a foreign country:
1. Research local laws and customs regarding driving.
2. Pay attention to speed limits (and don’t assume they mean what they do at home).
3. Learn how to use your GPS device (or apps on your phone) ahead of time so you won’t need to rely on signs when you arrive at unfamiliar destinations.
4. Keep an eye out for pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and other drivers who may not follow traffic rules as closely as drivers in your own country.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! It is perfectly acceptable to pull over and ask locals for directions when you find yourself lost or confused about something—even if it seems like a silly question!
6. Make sure you have enough fuel to get where you’re going, especially if you’ll be driving long distances.
7. And finally, remember that while many countries have similar rules of the road to those in your own country, others will differ significantly from what you might expect. Be prepared for anything and everything!